July 4 Wednesday
Happy Birthday to Us!
Happy Fourth of July everybody! Happy Birthday from middle America, USA! Happy Birthday from the 77th General Convention of The Episcopal Church.
General Convention officially starts tomorrow. But committees are hard at work today. I have been assigned to Committee 13, the Committee for Prayer Book, Liturgy and Music. We were scheduled to meet today from 8AM until noon. But mercifully we got out around 10:30 after introductions and setting guidelines for our work going forward.
Our committee is large. 47 I believe. In early introductions each committee member was asked to introduce themselves to the group and to tell something they were giving up in order to be here this week.
The interesting list included these things that members gave up:
Time in the family cabin in Maine, or Michigan.
Cool and fog of the San Francisco Bay area.
A reunion of my wife's family. So I thank you.
Birth of a grandchild
Paid vacation time
The best weather of the year in Alaska.
Apartment in Maryland where the power is still off
Recovery time from last week's southern youth camp with temps of over 100
Obsessing about the Tour de France
Giving up nothing. I am delighted to be here.
Introduction to my new grandchild who is visiting from Taiwan
Watching my new day lilies open for the first time
We are a large and varied group with important work to do. I sat next to a member from Navajoland. This experience of the commitment and diversity of our Church is one of the reasons I come to convention.
This afternoon we will hear from the Presiding Bishop and President of the House of Deputies. Then back to the committee from 5-7.
The vast floor of the House of Deputies is quiet and orderly and ready for action. Tomorrow we will fill it up.
I may be spending my 4th of July in all day church meetings but at the end of the day I am determined to celebrate the day.... Go to the ball game. Route for the home team. Watch the fireworks. Then walk across the street to fall into bed. My committee meets again to tomorrow at 0730. Then Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy. Tomorrow's the first legislative day. I've seen this before. The first day is lots of housekeeping. Boring housekeeping. Let's be sure we know how to vote. "Wedeeee?" Everybody vote! After all, this very democratic Church was organized by the founders of our democracy. We deputies were elected last year by our dioceses. The bishops were elected too. Together we are the people who make the legislative decisions of The
Episcopal Church. Everybody vote! Happy Birthday to us!
No comments:
Post a Comment