Monday, July 9, 2012

Legislative Day 5

Easing Into the History Books

This convention is making landmark decisions and we're not done yet.

Early on we accepted the recommendation to sell our office building in New York City.  This possibility has been discussed for about 15 years and we never quite got around to it in spite of the mounting costs of doing business in the big apple and maintaining a partially rented old building.  But this convention said, "SELL", "DUMP THE DOG".   And then we'll figure out where we go from there.  It was bold. It was easy.  So now we'll see if there is a buyer out there and then we'll probably look at moving our offices to a more affordable town.

Today we agreed with the  House of Bishops to end discrimination for any reason including sexual identity for those entering the process toward ordination in the Church.  Another move that has been discussed for a long time.

But the real news, the headliner if it happens, is the possible approval of a liturgy for the Blessing of Same Sex Relationships.  This liturgy was approved today in the house of bishops for trial use.  Probably tomorrow we will vote on that in the House of Deputies.  If our house approves, and it most surely will, then one more barrier will fall in The Episcopal Church for the inclusion of all God's people in all the ministries of the Church.  People are wearing buttons that say "ALL MEANS ALL." I have one myself because I believe this is the right thing for our Church at this time. 

I look forward to being a part of this historic decision. I am happy for people I know and thousands I do not know who have been faithful, patient members of my church as they wait and ask and pray that their commitment to their life's partner can be blessed by their Church.  These are not outsiders pounding on the doors to change a church for the sake of change.  These are faithful members who serve and worship with us and ask the Church they love to bless their commitment to the person they love.  It seems such a fundamental thing, but it has been a long time coming.

For some in our Church this will be hard.  Our prayers continue that God will work among us and within us that we will continue with respect for our neighbors who may see the world through a different lens.  May the God of Grace and Glory give us respect for one another and healing love.

Tomorrow I'll get some pictures up.  Pray for the Church with thanks for the courage and faithfulness of many.

1 comment: